What different types of home insurance are available?

There are two standard types of home insurance that can be purchased in the UK; buildings insurance and contents insurance. Buildings & contents Insurance can be also be purchased together. If you own a property that you rent out; you can also purchase landlord insurance.

Buildings insurance covers the structure of your house including your walls, windows and roof as well any permanent fixtures such as your bathroom and kitchen fittings. Buildings insurance also usually extends to outdoor buildings that are within the boundaries of your property.

Buildings insurance policies vary depending on the provider but typically a policy should insure your home in case of fire, flood, subsidence, burst pipes, falling trees and theft of contents. Most insurers offer additional cover options and products that can be added to your insurance policy should you require them.

Tenants do not need to worry about buildings insurance as it is the landlord’s responsibility to cover their owned building. Although, contents insurance as a standalone product is often taken out by those who are renting an unfurnished property.

Contents insurance is designed to protect the items within your home. A contents insurance policy protects your belongings from theft or damage from fire and flooding.

Most insurers offer the option of purchasing buildings and contents insurance together as one policy.

Dial Direct offers both buildings and contents insurance policies that can be tailored to your individual needs. Our buildings and contents insurance policy comes with Home Emergency Assistance and Family Legal Protection as standard.