Understanding Insurance

Brexit: Driving in the EU

You may have heard in the news that in the event of a no deal Brexit, customers who will be driving in the EU after the UK leaves may be required under EU regulations to obtain a Green Card from their insurer as proof of insurance.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31st January 2020 and the European Commission does not make a decision to exempt UK registered vehicles from being checked for proof of insurance, you will need to carry a Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA. Those who travel without one may be breaking the law and may not be allowed to drive in the country they are visiting. Vehicles towing a trailer or caravan will also need a separate Green Card for the trailer or caravan.

If you are travelling before 31st January 2020 and returning after this date – please contact us 21 days before you are travelling and we will arrange for a Green Card to be sent to you in case it may be required.

If you are travelling after 31st January 2020 – please contact us 21 days before you are travelling and we will arrange for one to be sent to you if required. 

Please keep an eye on the following websites for further updates around any changes to Green Card requirements.

Prepare to drive in the EU after Brexit

International Driving Permits

The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB)

Need a Dial Direct Car Insurance Quote ?

With our Car Insurance you can be confident that you are getting a premium level of cover for you and your vehicle.

Please note this website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent for cookies to be used. For further information on use of cookies (and how to disable them) please refer to our cookie policy.

Dallas Help