Frequently Asked Questions

Application Requirement

  • What do I need before I can apply for a car insurance quote?

    Please ensure you have the following details to hand:

    • Vehicle details (Registration number required on purchase only)
    • Your full postcode and address
    • Your licence details
    • Number of years of No-Claims Discount (NCD)
    • Claims and convictions details for the last 5 years for all drivers to be included on the policy
    • Details of other drivers including licence details
    • Type of cover - comprehensive, third party fire and theft, or third party only
  • Who sets the price for my policy?

    Your price has been calculated by ‘Us’, which includes the cost of your cover from the underwriter selected from our panel. (‘We/Us/Our’ – BISL Limited. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority).

Vehicle & Options

  • Why can I not find my car's make & model by its registration number?

    If you find your vehicle's registration number does not return your vehicle's details, you can enter the vehicle's year of manufacture, make and model to assist your search.

  • Can I get a quote if I do not have the registration number available?

    Yes, you can obtain a quote without the car registration number, however, we will need this information if you decide to purchase a policy.

  • What is ‘excess?’

    This is the amount you will need to pay in the event of a claim. For example, if you have a £100 excess then you will pay the first £100 of the claim you make (excluding windscreen claims – comprehensive cover only).

  • Uninsured Loss Recovery

    Even in the case where an accident is not your fault, no car or van insurance policy will cover all your losses. Legal Cover (also known as Motor Legal Protection) can cover certain costs; which you may incur by seeking to recover your uninsured losses from the person who caused the accident.

    If the accident is not your fault, your Legal Cover can instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf and attempt to claim compensation for your injuries, for example where a whiplash injury is caused by a rear end shunt. Even if you are the driver at fault, your passengers are covered under the Legal Cover policy if they are injured.

  • What are uninsured losses?

    These losses can include your policy excess, loss of earnings, vehicle hire charges, personal injury damages (such as compensation for whiplash). Other losses include your vehicle repair costs (if third party cover), medical fees, compensation for the loss of use of your vehicle, damage to personal belongings, vehicle recovery, storage charges and out of pocket expenses. Our Legal Cover policies cover up to £100,000 legal costs and expenses.

  • Motor Prosecution Defence

    If you are facing suspension or disqualification of your driving licence, we can instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf. This provides cover for your legal expenses incurred in defending your legal rights up to a maximum of £20,000.

  • Motor Legal Helpline

    If you require legal advice relating to a motoring issue, our 24/7 helpline is here to assist.

  • What is Guaranteed Replacement Car or Guaranteed Replacement Van service?

    Our Guaranteed Replacement Car or Van service keeps you mobile by providing a replacement vehicle should yours not be driveable following a claim. Unlike a garage's courtesy vehicle, which is subject to availability, our guaranteed replacement car or van service will provide you with a vehicle quickly and efficiently via a leading national network. This gives you peace of mind that you will not be left without a vehicle.
    The car will be a hatchback or similar with an engine size of at least 1000cc.
    In the event of a non fault claim we will make every effort to provide a vehicle of similar physical size to your own. The replacement van will be the same size, if possible for an accident that wasn't caused by you, until your van is returned or compensation agreed if your van is written off. For all other claims the replacement will be a car-derived van.
    Our guaranteed replacement car or van service can be used in a range of claim situations, including:

    • Accidents repairs
    • Write off
    • Vandalism
    • Theft
    • Fire or flood

    You can benefit from our market leading 28 day service to make sure you are not left without a vehicle following a claim. 

  • Do I need ‘business use’ to drive to work?

    No, you can use ‘social, domestic pleasure and commuting (SDPC)’ when travelling to your normal place of work.
    You will need business use when travelling to other sites or any other business related travel.

  • What cover will ‘Breakdown Assistance’ provide me with?

    The RAC provides the Breakdown Assistance and is for help with the mechanical or electrical breakdown of the van. Assistance is also available to customers who have been involved in accidents. No matter which insured driver drives the van the RAC will provide assistance.
    Recovery from major roads could be very costly. With Dial Direct you get the following benefits at no extra cost.
    Roadside Assistance: We’ll send an approved mobile mechanic to wherever your vehicle is stranded
    Roadside repairs: Whenever possible, a mechanic will fix the fault or problem on the spot. There is no charge for labour, only parts used
    Cover for any driver: Breakdown assistance policy covers anyone who is driving the vehicle (not just the policy holder) and it extends to any caravan or trailer you may be towing at the time, unlike many other breakdown covers.
    National recovery: If your vehicle cannot be fixed by the roadside the RAC will take your van and up to 8 people to your destination, or back home.
    24/7 service: Friendly operators who are on standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, alerting mobile units within minutes of your call.

  • Can I get instant cover?


  • What are the different types of cover I can get?

    The following options are available depending on your needs:

    Third Party Only (TPO) - This will cover damage to third party vehicles only.
    Third Party Fire & Theft (TPF&T) - This will cover damage to third party vehicles and also cover your vehicle in the event of fire or theft.
    Comprehensive - This will cover your vehicle as well as third party vehicles in the event of an accident, regardless of fault.

  • Can I temporarily add a driver to my insurance policy?

    Yes – subject to the insurers acceptance criteria.

  • Can I use my vehicle abroad?

    Yes - All private car policies issued in the UK include third party cover for driving within any EU country.
    Comprehensive/Third Party, Fire and Theft cover extension applies for a limited period.
    Please refer to your policy documents for more information.

  • If I take out comprehensive insurance, can other people drive my car when they are not named on my policy?

    No, cover is provided for the car shown in your current certificate of motor insurance only, and the named drivers on the policy.

No Claims Discount (NCD) Questions


Personal Details & Additional Driver Options

Claims and Convictions


  • Why do I need a credit agreement?

    You will need a credit agreement if you wish to pay for your insurance premium over a 12 month period as opposed to paying it in one annual lump sum. There is no need for you to enter into a credit agreement if you pay the full annual amount for your policy.

  • Is the annual price the same as the credit agreement price?

    The annual price of your insurance premium does not include interest charges, it is a one off lump sum. If you choose to pay monthly, by instalments, this will be your credit agreement price as you only require a credit agreement for monthly payments.

  • What happens if I miss a payment?

    You will be sent a letter advising you that you have missed a payment and you are, therefore, in default of your credit agreement. The letter will request that you contact us as soon as possible to make the payment. Alternatively, you can make a payment by logging into your personalised Self Service Centre. If you do not make the payment, either over the phone or through your Self Service Centre, by the time stated in the letter your credit agreement will be terminated and your insurance policy will be cancelled. You will incur a cancellation fee.

  • What is a credit agreement?

    A credit agreement is a legally binding document which fully complies with the Consumer Credit Act. The agreement sets out the terms between yourself and the lender under which you must pay your insurance premium by monthly instalments.

  • What happens when a credit agreement is cancelled early?

    If a credit agreement is cancelled early and your premium has not been paid in full then your annual insurance policy will also be cancelled. Your lender will have full legal rights to retain any refunds due under the insurance policy to reduce the amount that you owe under the credit agreement.

  • Can everyone pay monthly?

    As a responsible lender and to comply with Consumer Credit Legislation, we can only allow people who can afford it to enter into a credit agreement. In some limited circumstances we may not be in the position to offer you credit. In this instance you will be required to pay for your policy annually in one lump sum.

  • What happens if I change my mind about the credit agreement?

    If you change your mind, you are fully entitled to cancel your credit agreement at any time. However if you cancel your credit agreement, you will need to either pay your premium in full or cancel your insurance policy. A cancellation fee will be applied if you cancel your insurance policy.

  • Can payments under the Credit Agreement be made by someone else?

    Unfortunately not, we can only accept payments from the policy holder or a person that is a named driver on the policy.

  • Can I change the payment date under my credit agreement?

    Yes, to change your payment date please contact our Customer Service Team. Alternatively, you can log in to your Self Service Centre to make this change.

  • What happens if a payment date falls on a weekend or bank holiday?

    Your payment will be taken on the next available working day.

  • Will I get statements for my credit agreement?

    We do not issue monthly statements for your credit agreement, but you can check your payment history and future scheduled payments by logging into your Self Service Centre.

  • Why do I have to pay a deposit?

    As a responsible lender and to comply with Consumer Credit Legislation, we have to ensure that you can afford your monthly instalments. We ask you to pay a deposit to help us keep your monthly instalments as low as possible.

  • What do I do If I am changing my bank account?

    If you change your bank account, please keep us updated of your new details by either calling our Customer Service Team or logging on to your Self Service Centre to make the necessary changes.

  • Which lenders do you work for?

    BISL Limited acts as a credit broker. It works with BFSL Limited which is the lender. BISL Limited and BFSL are both part of the BGL Group of Companies.

  • What is continuous payment authority?

    When you provide us with your card number for payments, a continuous payment authority is set up. This means that we will be able to use your payment details to automatically take a future payment (at renewal, amendments etc.). This saves you from having to provide us with your payment details each time and ensures that your insurance cover continues without interruption. We will tell you in advance before taking any payments and you can cancel your continuous payment authority at any time.

  • Can I transfer my credit agreement into someone else's name?

    No, the credit agreement must remain in the name of the policyholder.

  • What happens if I experience financial difficulties?

    If you cannot pay your monthly instalments when they are due, this could mean that we have to terminate your credit agreement and cancel your policy.If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you may wish to contact a free debt help organisation such as:

    • Your local Citizens Advice. If you need any more information regarding this service please visit their website at
    • The Money Advice Service (phone 0300 500 5000). If you need any more information regarding this service please visit their website at
    • The National Debtline (phone 0808 808 4000). If you need any more information regarding this service please visit their website at
  • What does APR mean?

    APR (Annual Percentage Rate) is a standard measure of the cost of credit, stated as a yearly rate. Interest rates can be stated in a number of ways. It helps to compare the cost of credit from different providers. You can find your APR in your quote, in your SECCI and in your Credit Agreement.

  • Will the APR change during the term of the credit agreement?

    No, your APR will remain the same throughout the period of your credit agreement.

  • Do I need to sign and return my credit agreement?


  • I've lost my credit agreement, how can I get another copy?

    You can access your credit agreement by logging into your Self Service Centre.

  • What is a SECCI?

    SECCI stands for 'Standard European Consumer Credit Information'. This document sets out all of the information you may need to know regarding your credit agreement. You will receive a copy of this as part of your quote if you choose to pay by monthly instalments.

  • Can I pay off my credit agreement early?

    Yes, you can pay the remainder of your insurance policy by contacting our Customer Service Team.

  • Where can I view the credit agreement?

    The credit agreement is contained within your specimen policy documents which you can review before you buy your policy. It will also be available for you to view in your policy documents at any time in your Self Service Centre after you've bought your policy.

Claims Checking (CUE) Questions

    • Claims and Underwriting Exchange - what is it?

      The Claims and Underwriting Exchange – also known as CUE – is a central database of claims reported to insurance companies. Most insurers will check it when you buy a policy from them or when you make a claim.
      If you need any more information regarding CUE please visit their website at

    • Why is my claims history checked?

      Your claims history may be checked and validated when you take out an insurance policy with us as it is one of the factors that we use when working out your insurance premium.Giving us the right information is important as it could help avoid any incidents where your claim may be rejected or policy cancelled.Please be advised that it is still your responsibility, as the customer, to provide us with the most accurate and up-to-date claims information. Please be aware of the below points when detailing your claims history:

      • to make sure that the information you have given us is right and you are properly insured
      • To declare the claims history of any named drivers on the policy. It is your responsibility to obtain this information and inform us.
      • To stop people from giving us incorrect details either accidentally or intentionally
    • How did my details get onto CUE?

      When you have an incident which may or may not result in a claim, your insurer can add this information to CUE. If you don’t agree with the details on CUE you will need to contact the insurer concerned and ask them to correct it.

    • What happens if there is a discrepancy with my claims history?

      If you forgot to add a claim, or got the details wrong, this will be highlighted by CUE when we check the database. You will be advised of any difference in writing within a few days of buying your insurance policy. The cost of your policy may increase and in some cases your policy could be cancelled.

    • The information from CUE is wrong - what do I do now?

      If there is a difference and you disagree with the information held on CUE you must contact the insurer concerned immediately to get written confirmation from them of the right details and that they have updated this on CUE.
      This must then be sent to us as soon as possible:

      • By post: Insurance Services, Unit 25, Tresham Road, Orton Southgate, Peterborough, PE2 6BU
      • By fax: 01733 233600

      When we receive this we will update our records and tell you about any changes to your premium. If you aren’t able to get this confirmation to us by the date specified in your letter the cost of your policy may increase and in some cases your policy could be cancelled.

    • What happens if I entered the wrong claim details when I bought my policy?

      If you now realise that the information you provided was wrong, or the same claim is showing with different dates please call us and we can update the details on your policy. Please note that we can’t update CUE with details from previous insurers – they will have to do this.

    • Can you contact my previous insurer to resolve this?

      This information is covered by the Data Protection Act. Unfortunately we are unable to contact the insurer on your behalf. In order to keep your personal details confidential there may be restrictions on the information the insurer can release. You will have to contact your previous insurer direct to discuss any differences on the CUE database.

    • How can I reduce my premium?

      If the cost of your policy has gone up because of a difference on CUE there are a number of ways you may be able to reduce your premium:

      • increase your voluntary excess
      • remove named driver(s) from your policy if the claim is in their name
      • remove NCD protection if included in your policy

      You will need to call us if you would like to make any changes to your policy. An amendment fee may be charged as outlined in your contract with us which can be found in your policy documents.

    • If I use another insurance company will they check CUE?

      More and more insurers are checking claims on CUE when you buy a policy. It is therefore likely that they will also check your claims history when you buy a policy or if you make a claim.

    • I genuinely forgot about a claim – does this mean that I have a black mark against me?

      No, you don’t have a black mark against you but your premium could change as a result. Your claims history is one of the factors used when working out the cost of your policy. Making sure the claims on CUE are right means that you are properly insured and that your details are right in the future.

Marketing consent

Data portability


      • How can I access the personal data you hold on me?

        You have a right to ask us to provide you with the personal data that we hold about you.; This is called a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR). To complete a DSAR Form please see our Privacy Policy for further details.

        For other information relating to your policy this will be in your policy documents.

Right to rectification

Right to restriction

Right to be informed

Right to be forgotten

Data processing

Get a quote today

For premium insurance that can be tailored to suit your needs, get a quote today.


Home Insurance

We offer Home Insurance that can be tailored to your individual needs and lifestyle. After all, there’s no place like home.

Get a home quote

Car Insurance

You can be confident that you are getting a premium level of cover for you and your vehicle.

Get a car quote

Premier Car Insurance

Premier Car Insurance offers you our fantastic car insurance package, plus additional cover extras included as standard.

Get a premier-car quote

Van Insurance

Our Van Insurance product takes our customers’ needs into consideration, offering an impressive level of cover.

Get a van quote